Completely updated and revised, the third edition of this essential textbook describes the basic genetics of the horse including coat colour, parentage, medical and population genetics, cytogenetics, performance, breeding systems and genetic conservation, as well as the many recent advances in genomics.
New for the third edition:
- More information on genomics and biology have been included
- There are two additional chapters on genetics with respect to infectious diseases and reproduction
- Expanded sections on quantitative genetics and genomic selection provide comprehensive coverage
- Many new figures further illustrate key points in the text
- Redesigned in colour throughout and keeping the popular features of previous editions
This authoritative text remains one of the key sources of information for basic genetic principles and their specific applications to the horse, and is essential for students of equine studies, animal breeding and veterinary science, as well as horse breeders and owners.
Table of contents
1: Nature of Breeds
2: Evolution and Domestication
4: Fundamentals of Genetics
5: The Language of Genetics
7: Black, Bay, and Chestnut (Extension and Agouti)
8: Color Diluting Genes
9: Tobiano, White, Sabino and Roan (KIT)
10: Frame Overo and Splashed White
11: Leopard Complex
12: Gray, Brindle, Curly and Tiger Eye
13: Putting it All Together: Color By Design
14: Parentage Testing
15: Blood Groups and Neonatal Isoerythrolysis
16: Medical Genetics
18: Major Genes, Quantitative Trait Loci and Marker Assisted Selection
19: Complex Traits
20: Pedigrees and Breeding Schemes
21: Microbiome and Mitochondria
22: Where Do We Go From Here?
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.