Building on a solid foundation of knowledge and skills, this classic text from trusted author Mary Louise Turgeon clearly explains everything from basic immunologic mechanisms and serologic concepts to the theory behind procedures performed in the lab.This go-to resource prepares you for everything from mastering automated techniques to understanding immunoassay instrumentation and disorders of infectious and immunologic origin. Packed with learning objectives, review questions, step-by-step procedures, and case studies, this text is the key to your success in today’s modern laboratory environment.
New to this edition
NEW! Highlights of Immunology chapter presents a clear, accessible, and easy-to-understand introduction to immunology that will help you grasp the complex concepts you need to understand to practice in the clinical lab.
NEW! Stronger focus on molecular laboratory techniques.
NEW! Ten chapters include COVID-19 related topics, including Primer on Vaccines chapter covering newer vaccine production methods focusing on DNA and RNA nucleic acids and viral vectors, and covering eight different platforms in use for vaccine research and development against SARS-CoV-2 virus.
NEW! All chapters include significant updates based on reviewer feedback.
NEW! Key Concepts interwoven throughout each chapter highlight important facts for more focused learning.
Table of Contents:
Part I: Basic Immunologic Mechanisms
1. Highlights of Innate and Adaptive Immune Systems
2. Soluble Mediators of the Immune System
3. Antigens and Antibodies
4. Cellular Activities and Clinical Disorders of Innate and Adaptive Immunity
Part II: The Theory of Immunologic and Serologic Procedures
5. Basic Safety in the Immunology-Serology Laboratory
6. Quality Assurance and Quality Control Practices
7. Basic Serologic Laboratory: Techniques and Clinical Applications
8. Precipitation and Particle Agglutination Methods
9. Electrophoresis Techniques
10. Labeling Techniques in Immunoassay
11. Flow Cytometry
12. Molecular Laboratory Techniques
Part III: Immunologic Manifestations of Infectious Diseases
13. Infectious Diseases: Overview & TORCH Diseases
14. Streptococcal Infections
16. Vector-Borne Diseases
17. Infectious Mononucleosis
18. Viral Hepatitis
Part IV: Immune Disorders
19. Primary and Acquired (Secondary) Immune Deficiencies
20. Hypersensitivity Reactions
21. Immunoproliferative Disorders
22. Tolerance, Autoimmunity and Autoimmune Disorders
23. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
24. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Part V: Transplantation & Tumor Immunology
25. Transplantation: HLA, Solid Organ, and Hematopoietic Stem Cells
26. Tumor Immunology and Up-to-Date Applications of Next Generation Sequencing
Part VI: Vaccines
27. Primer on Vaccines
Appendix A: Answers to Case Study Multiple-Choice Questions
Appendix B: Answers to Review Questions
Appendix C: Origin and Immunoregulatory Activity of Cytokines
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.