Learn to calculate dosages accurately and administer drugs safely! Applied Pharmacology for Veterinary Technicians, 6th Edition shows you how to determine drug dosages, administer prescribed drugs to animals, and instruct clients about side effects and precautions. Coverage of drugs includes pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical uses, dosage forms, and adverse effects. An Evolve companion website offers animations of pharmacologic processes, practice with dosage calculations, narrated videos demonstrating drug administration techniques, and more. Written by veterinary technology educator Lisa Martini-Johnson, this resource provides the pharmacology knowledge you need to succeed as a vet tech!
New to this edition
NEW! Emergency Drugs chapter is added.
UPDATED drug information keeps veterinary students current with the newest pharmacologic agents and their uses, adverse side effects, and dosage forms.
NEW! Case studies at the end of every chapter provide students with real-world scenarios.
Table of Contents:
1. General Pharmacology
2. Routes and Techniques of Drug Administration
3. Practical Calculations
4. Drugs Used in Nervous System Disorders
5. Drugs Used in Respiratory System Disorders
6. Drugs Used in Renal and Urinary Tract Disorders
7. Drugs Used in Cardiovascular System Disorders
8. Drugs Used in Gastrointestinal System Disorders
9. Drugs Used in Hormonal, Endocrine, and Reproductive Disorders
10. Drugs Used in Ophthalmic and Otic Disorders
11. Drugs Used in Skin Disorders
12. Anti-infective Drugs
13. Antiparasitic Drugs
14. Drugs Used to Relieve Pain and Inflammation
15. Therapeutic Nutritional, Fluid, and Electrolyte Replacements
16. Blood-Modifying, Antineoplastic, and Immunosuppressant Drugs
17. Immunologic Drugs
18. Miscellaneous Therapeutic Agents
19. Inventory: The Veterinary Technician's Role
20. Emergency Drugs NEW!
Appendix A: Common Abbreviations Used in Veterinary Medicine
Appendix B: Weights and Measures
Appendix C: Antidotes
Appendix D: Common Drugs: Approximate Dosages
Appendix E: Listing of Drugs According to Functional and Therapeutic Classification
Appendix F: Controlled Substances Information Summary
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.