Utilize a problem-oriented approach to the diagnosis of diseases of horses, cattle, sheep, and goats. Large Animal Internal Medicine, 6th Edition covers the diagnosis and management of disease in both ruminant and equine internal medicine. As the first veterinary internal medicine text to use a problem-based approach, it offers discussions of over 150 clinical signs and manifestations, as well as comprehensive coverage of laboratory and diagnostic testing. New to this edition is a versatile online reference platform and coverage of conditions that exist in Europe, Central and South America, Australia, and New Zealand. In addition, thoroughly revised and updated content includes new vaccines and vaccination protocols; the most current laboratories for DNA, genetic, and PCR testing; and colostrum supplements and replacers. It’s everything you need to stay up to date with the latest information on preventing and treating disease in large animals.
New to this edition
NEW! Expert Consult platform provides a versatile digital resource including bonus content, useful references, and videos to meet the needs of practicing equine and large animal veterinarians.
NEW! Global conditions of importance are covered, including those previously not discussed, that exist in Europe, Central and South America, Australia, and New Zealand.
NEW! Coverage of emerging and re-emerging diseases includes the new pathogen discovery.
NEW! Assessment of vaccination status and susceptibility to infection discusses how antibody titers can predict protection for some pathogens.
NEW! Description of epigenetics and metagenomics provides detailed coverage of these emerging areas of interest.
NEW! Table of zoonoses obtained from large animals includes symptoms and disinfection needs.
NEW! Videos demonstrate how to perform ultrasound imaging on an equine and cow abdomen clearly showing where to position the probe, and what depth to use for scans of the kidneys, liver, and bowel.
NEW! Coverage of genetic disorders, Hydrocephalus in Fresians and Pulmonary hypoplasia with Anasarca in Dexter cattle help you to treat these disorders.
NEW! Extensively updated content clarifies the latest research and clinical findings on the West Nile Virus, therapeutic drug monitoring, muscle disorders, GI microbiota, the genetic basis for Immune-mediated myositis in Quarter Horses, discoveries in antimicrobial drugs, anthelmintic, and vaccines, and more!
Table of Contents:
PART I: HISTORY, PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, AND MEDICAL RECORDS
1. Ruminant History, Physical Examination, and Records
2. Equine History, Physical Examination, Records, and Recognizing Abuse or Neglect in Patients
PART II: MANIFESTATIONS OF DISEASE
4. Alterations in Body Temperature
5. Alterations in Respiratory Function
6. Alterations in Cardiovascular and Hemolymphatic Systems
7. Alterations in Alimentary and Hepatic Function
8. Localization and Differentiation of Neurologic Diseases
9. Alterations in Body Weight or Size
10. Alterations in Urinary Function
11. Alterations in the Skin
12. Alterations in Sexual Function
13. Musculoskeletal Abnormalities
14. Collapse and Sudden Death
PART III: DISORDERS AND MANAGEMENT OF THE NEONATE
15. The Equine Peripartum Period
16. Assessment of the Newborn Foal
17. Manifestations and Management of Disease in Neonatal Foals
18. The Peripartum Ruminant
19. Initial Management and Clinical Investigation of Neonatal Ruminants
20. Manifestations and Management of Disease in Neonatal Ruminants
21. Colostrum and Milk Replacers
PART IV: COLLECTION OF SAMPLES AND INTERPRETATION OF LABORATORY TESTS
22. Clinical Chemistry Tests
23. Collection and Submission of Samples for Hematologic and Cytologic Studies
24. Alterations in the Erythron
25. Alterations in the Leukogram
26. Alterations in Blood Proteins
27. Alterations in Hemostasis
28. Collection and Analysis of Bone Marrow
29. Molecular Diagnostics
PART V: DISORDERS OF THE ORGAN SYSTEMS
30. Diseases of the Cardiovascular System
31. Diseases of the Respiratory System
32. Diseases of the Alimentary Tract
33. Diseases of Hepatobiliary System
34. Diseases of the Renal System
35. Diseases of the Nervous System
36. Mammary Gland Health
37. Diseases of the Hematopoietic and Hemolymphatic Systems
38. Diseases of the Bones, Joints, and Connective Tissues
39. Diseases of the Eye
40. Diseases of the Skin
41. Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases
42. Diseases of Muscle
43. Diseases of the Reproductive System
PART VI: PREVENTIVE AND THERAPEUTIC STRATEGIES
44. Critical Care and Fluid Therapy
45. Rational Antimicrobial Therapy
46. Biosecurity and Infection Control
47. Prevention, Detection, and Response to Transboundary (Foreign) Animal Diseases
48. Use of Biologics in the Prevention of Infectious Diseases
49. Parasite Control Programs
50. Nutrition of the Sick Animal
PART VII: CONGENTIAL, HEREDITARY, IMMUNOLOGIC, AND TOXIC DISORDERS
51. Genetic Disorders
52. Genetic Tests for Large Animals
53. Immunologic Disorders
54. Disorders Caused by Toxicants
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.
Create an account to buy or link an Acco share and buy your books and supplies at reduced rates.Sign up