Offering a comprehensive look at physical therapy science and practice, Guccione’s Geriatric Physical Therapy, 4th Edition is a perfect resource for both students and practitioners alike. Year after year, this text is recommended as the primary preparatory resource for the Geriatric Physical Therapy Specialization exam. And this new fourth edition only gets better. Content has been thoroughly revised to keep you up to date on the latest geriatric physical therapy protocols and conditions. Five new chapters have also been added to this edition to help you learn how to better manage common orthopedic, cardiopulmonary, and neurologic conditions; become familiar with functional outcomes and assessments; and better understand the psychosocial aspects of aging. In all, you can rely on Guccione’s Geriatric Physical Therapy to help you effectively care for today’s aging patient population.
New to this edition
NEW! Thoroughly revised and updated content across all chapters keeps students up to date with the latest geriatric physical therapy protocols and conditions.
NEW! References located at the end of each chapter point students toward credible external sources for further information on a given topic.
NEW! Treatment chapters guide students in managing common conditions in orthopedics, cardiopulmonary, and neurology.
NEW! Chapter on functional outcomes and assessment lists relevant scores for the most frequently used tests.
NEW! Chapter on psychosocial aspects of aging give students a well-rounded view of the social and mental conditions commonly affecting their geriatric patients.
NEW! Chapter on frailty covers a wide variety of interventions to optimize treatment.
NEW! Enhanced eBook format included with purchase offers a means to enhance student learning.
NEW! Downloadable image collection is included for educators to further enhance class lectures.
Table of Contents:
1. Geriatric Physical Therapy in the 21st Century: Overarching Principles and Approaches to Practice
2. Aging Demographics and Trends
3. Age-related Physiological Changes: An Overview
4. Psychosocial Aspects of Aging
5. Environmental Design: Accommodating Sensory Changes and Mobility Limitations in the Older Adult
6. Geriatric Pharmacology
7. Functional Outcomes and Assessment for Older Adults
8. Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults
9. Age-related Changes in Gait and Mobility
10. Balance and Falls in Older Adults
11. Patient Education: Implications for Physical Therapist Practice
12. Caregiving of the Older Adult
13. The Older Adult who is Frail
14. Management of the Acutely Ill Older Patient
15. Impaired Joint Mobility in Older Adults
16. Impaired Muscle Performance in Older Adults
17. Impaired Motor Control and Neurologic Rehabilitation in Older Adults
18. Aerobic Capacity and the Management of the Patient with Cardiopulmonary and Pulmonary Limitations
19. Cognitive Issues in the Older Adult
20. Management of Post-surgical Orthopedic Conditions in the Older Adult
21. Management of Integumentary Conditions in the Older Adult
22. Management of the Pelvic Floor in Older Men and Women
23. Wellness for the Older Adult
24. Acute Care Management of the Older Adult
25. Post-Acute Care Management of the Older Adult
26. Home Health Management of the Older Adult
27. Hospice and End of Life
28. Senior Athlete
29. Health Policy for Physical Therapists and Older Adults
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.