Develop the critical thinking skills you need to choose and fit effective orthoses for patients with hand injuries and functional deficits. As a combination workbook/textbook, Introduction to Orthotics, 5th Edition uses reader friendly language to cover the theory, design, and fabrication of orthopedic devices. Ideal for use in the classroom or in the clinical setting, it emphasizes upper extremity versus hand orthoses, with additional coverage of lower extremity orthotics and upper extremity prosthetics, and offers case studies promoting clinical reasoning and problem solving as well as an occupation-based approach. This new edition also demonstrates the fine detail of orthotics and equips you with a repertoire of skills and knowledge related to orthoses.
New to this edition
NEW! chapter covering Casting techniques provides guidance regarding current advances.
NEW! Chapter for Professional Issues Related to Orthotic Provision.
NEW! Elbow, Forearm, and Shoulder Immobilization Orthoses expands the content that previously only addressed elbow and forearm orthoses to include shoulder immobilization orthoses.
NEW! Photos and illustrations for pre-fabrication, fitting, and fabrication techniques appear throughout the text.
NEW! Evidence-based practice charts
Table of Contents:
UNIT ONE: Orthotic Foundations
1. Foundations of Orthotics
2. Occupation-based Orthotic Intervention
3. Orthotic Processes, Tools, & Techniques
4. Anatomic and Biomechanical Principles related to Orthotic Provision
5. Clinical Examination for Orthotic Intervention
6. Clinical Reasoning for Orthotic Fabrication
UNIT TWO: Orthosis for Conditions and Populations
7. Orthoses for the Wrist
8. Thumb Immobilization Orthoses
9. Hand Immobilization Orthoses
10. Elbow and Forearm Immobilization Orthoses
11. Orthoses for the Shoulder
12. Orthotics for the Fingers
13. Mobilization Orthoses: Serial-static, Dynamic, and Static Progressive Orthoses
14. Orthotic Intervention for Nerve Injuries
15. Orthotic Provision to Manage Spasticity
16. Orthotic Intervention for Older Adults
17. Orthoses for the Pediatric Population
UNIT THREE: Topics Related to Orthosis
18. Lower Extremity Orthotics
20. Upper Extremity Prosthetics
21. Professional Issues related to Orthotic Provision
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.