Learn to treat a wide variety of small mammals and pocket pets with Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 4th Edition. Covering the conditions most often seen in veterinary practice, this highly readable and easy-to-navigate text covers preventative medicine along with disease management, ophthalmology, dentistry, and zoonosis. More than 700 full-color photographs and illustrations highlight radiographic interpretation as well as diagnostic, surgical, and therapeutic techniques. This fourth edition also features new coverage of degus (large rodent species); new coverage of prairie dogs; and expanded coverage of surgical procedures, physical therapy rehabilitation and alternative medicine for rabbits, neoplasia in rabbits, and zoonotic disease. With expert contributors from around the globe, Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents is the authoritative, single point of reference for small mammal care that is hard to find elsewhere.
New to this edition
NEW! Coverage of surgical procedures has been further expanded in this edition. Surgical procedures are presented in a separate section and shown step by step through color photographs and radiographs, accompanied by line drawings.
NEW! Additional information on physical therapy rehabilitation and alternative medicine for rabbits includes chiropractic care and acupuncture.
NEW! Expanded content on neoplasia in rabbits incorporates lymphoreticular disorders, thymoma, and other neoplastic diseases of rabbits.
NEW! All new chapter on prairie dogs has been added.
NEW! All new chapter on degus (large rodent species) has been added.
UPDATED! Chapter on zoonotic disease has been updated to further cover specific zoonotic diseases in addition to addressing the increased potential for disease transmission from animals to humans.
NEW! Global author perspective incorporates the expertise of authors practicing outside of North America.
UPDATED! Photographs show the diseases and disorders that are more commonly seen in practice.
Table of Contents:
Section 1: FERRETS
1. Basic Anatomy, Physiology, and Husbandry of Ferrets
2. Basic Approach to Veterinary Care of Ferrets and Clinical Techniques
3. Gastrointestinal Diseases of Ferrets
4. Disorders of the Urinary and Reproductive System in Ferrets
5. Cardiovascular and Other Diseases of Ferrets
6. Respiratory Diseases of Ferrets
7. Endocrine Diseases of Ferrets
8. Neoplasia in Ferrets
9. Dermatologic Diseases of Ferrets
10. Musculoskeletal and Neurologic Diseases of Ferrets
Section 2: RABBITS
11. Basic Anatomy, Physiology, and Husbandry of Rabbits
12. Basic Approach to Veterinary Care of Rabbits
13. Gastrointestinal Physiology and Nutrition of Rabbits
14. Gastrointestinal Diseases of Rabbits
15. Respiratory Diseases and Pasteurellosis in Rabbits
16. Disorders of the Urinary and Reproductive Systems in Rabbits
17. Dermatologic Diseases of Rabbits
18. Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Disorders of Rabbits
19. Cardiovascular Disease in Rabbits
20. Lymphoreticular Disorders, Thymoma, and other Neoplastic Diseases of Rabbits
Section 3: RODENTS
21. Guinea Pigs
24. Prairie Dogs
25. Rats and Mice
26. Hamsters and Gerbils
Section 4: OTHER SMALL MAMMALS
27. Sugar Gliders
28. African Pygmy Hedgehogs
Section 5: SURGICAL TECHNIQUES AND DENTISTRY
30. General Principles of Surgical Techniques
31. Soft Tissue Surgery: Ferrets
32. Soft Tissue Surgery: Rabbits
33. Soft Tissue Surgery: Rodents
34. Orthopedics in Small Mammals
35. Exotic Mammal Diagnostic and Surgical Endoscopy
36. Small Mammal Dentistry
Section 6: GENERAL TOPICS
37. Anesthesia, Analgesia, and Sedation of Small Mammals
38. Diagnostic Imaging
39. Hematology and Biochemistry of Small Mammals
40. Ophthalmic Diseases of Small Mammals
41. Emergency and Critical Care of Small Mammals
42. Zoonotic Diseases Associated with Small Mammals
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.