From basic procedures like spays, castrations, and declaws to advanced surgeries like craniotomy, vertal slots, and lung lobectomy, Fossum’s Small Animal Surgery, 5th Edition is the go-to, full-color guide for everything that general veterinarians and vet students need to know about both soft tissue and orthopedic surgery. Five editors bring their expert perspective as they discuss the latest advances in key areas such as imaging modalities, regenerative medicine, minimally invasive surgery, and neurology. With each book adoption, you’ll also have access to the Expert Consult website, which includes a fully searchable version of the book plus step-by-step video clips and animations of surgical procedures, aftercare instruction handouts, case presentations, references linked to full text articles on PubMed, and an extensive image collection. There is no better resource to keep you up to date on the latest advances and techniques in small animal surgery!
New to this edition
NEW! Expanded sections on thoracoscopy, arthroscopy, and laparoscopy reflect the significant growth in minimally invasive procedures in vet medicine.
NEW! Significantly revised section on joint disease includes additional techniques and procedures.
NEW! Revised chapter on regenerative medicine emphasizes application of stem cell and regenerative medicine technologies to clinical patients.
NEW! Increased emphasis on differential diagnosis helps you learn how to avoid misdiagnoses that result in unnecessary surgery with the inclusion of boxes covering disorders that may mimic the more commonly encountered surgical neurologic problems that are not actual disorders requiring surgical repair.
NEW! Correlation boxes highlight the advances in veterinary medicine that correlate with human medicine.
NEW! Expanded chapter on neurologic examination cover how to perform a proper neurologic exam to detect problems in cats and dogs.
NEW! Step-by-step procedure videos that walk through both basic and advanced procedures have been added to this new edition.
NEW! Aftercare instructions and rarely performed procedures have been added to the Expert Consult.
Table of Contents:
Part 1: General Surgical Principles
1. Principles of Surgical Asepsis
2. Care and Handling of Surgical Equipment and Supplies
3. Surgical Facilities and Maintenance of the Surgical Environment
4. Preoperative and Intraoperative Care of the Surgical Patient
5. Preparation of the Operative Site
6. Preparation of the Surgical Team
7. Surgical Instrumentation
8. Biomaterials, Suturing and Suture Patterns
9. Surgical Infections and Antibiotic Selection
10. Nutritional Management of the Surgical Patient
11. Fundamentals of Physical Rehabilitation
12. Principles of Anesthesia and Anesthetics
13. Pain Management and Acupuncture
14. Principles of Minimally Invasive Surgery and Regenerative Medicine
Part II: Soft Tissue Surgery
15. Surgery of the Integumentary System
16. Surgery of the Eye
17. Surgery of the Ear
18. Surgery of the Digestive System
19. Surgery of the Liver
20. Surgery of the Extrahepatic Biliary System
21. Surgery of the Endocrine System
22. Surgery of the Hemolymphatic System
23. Surgery of the Kidney and Ureter
24. Surgery of the Bladder
25. Surgery of the Reproductive and Genital Systems
26. Surgery of the Cardiovascular System
27. Surgery of the Upper Respiratory System
28. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Lungs and Thoracic Wall
29. Surgery of the Lower Respiratory System: Pleural Cavity and Diaphragm
Part III: Orthopedics
30. Fundamentals of Orthopedic Surgery and Fracture Management
31. Management of Specific Fractures
32. Diseases of the Joints
33. Management of Muscle and Tendon Injury or Disease
34. Other Diseases of Bones and Joints
Part IV: Neurosurgery
35. Neurodiagnostic Overview for the Small Animal Surgeon
36. Neurologic Examination and Relevant Neuroanatomy
37. Surgery of the Brain
38. Surgery of the Cervical Spine
39. Surgery of the Thoracolumbar Spine
40. Surgery of the Cauda Equina
41. Nonsurgical Disorders of the Brain and Spine
42. Peripheral Nervous System Disorders
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.