It is hard to find a medical condition that has as much media attention as concussion. With growing interest in concussion care by the NFL, NHL, NBA, and many other sports organizations, the military, and by regular patients, the number of concussion care providers has rapidly increased.
Concussion Care Manual, Second Edition is the perfect step-by-step concussion management guide for clinicians, coaches, and even parents of athletic children. This pocket-sized volume discusses how to manage a variety of complexities associated with concussions including proper diagnosis, management strategies, headaches, anxiety and depression, PTSD, dizziness, fatigue, and changes to mood, balance, personality, and sleep. This book also covers the essential elements on how to set up and run a concussion clinic, focusing on the administrative need-to-know. A much-needed list of references, scales, and resources are provided at the end of the book for further investigation.
New to the Second Edition…
-Fully revised based on the most up-to-date research in the field across disciplines
- Evidence-based, this new edition summarizes what works and what doesn't from recent clinical trials and real world concussion care experience
-Provides step by step guidance on how to provide appropriate active management when treating concussion
Table of Contents
Part I: Concussion Management: The Big Picture
2. What is a Concussion?
3. How Do You Make the Diagnosis?
4. Diagnosis of Sport Concussion
5. Which Problems Do You Address First?
6. General Treatment Strategies
Part II: How to Manage Specific Problems
8. Sleep Disruption
9. Attention Deficit
10. Mood Instability
11. Anxiety and Depression
12. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
13. Personality Change
14. Balance Problems
17. Excessive Sleepiness
18. Memory Impairment
19. Executive Dysfunction
21. Blurry Vision
22. Hearing Problems
23. Smell and Taste Problems
24. Sexual Dysfunction
27. Return to Work
28. Return to Driving
29. Return to School
30. Return to Contact Sports
31. When is it Safe to Fly or Travel to High Altitude?
32. Medico-legal Aspects of Concussion
33. Special Topics in Elderly
34. Special Topics in Adolescents
35. Special Topics in Children
36. Special Topics in Contact Sport Athletes and Others with Multiple Concussions
37. Special Topic in Military Personnel
Part III: How to Set Up and Run a Concussion Clinic
39. Typical Flow for a Concussion Clinic
40. Return Visit Times
Part IV: Additional Resources
41. Internet-based resources
42. Concussion-related Scales and Scores
43. Additional Publications for More Detailed Information
Our customer service is happy to help. Consult our frequently asked questions or contact us.